Book #9: Open Minds by Susan Kaye Quinn


Rating: 3/5 
(Summary from goodreads) 
Sixteen-year-old Kira Moore is a zero, someone who can’t read thoughts or be read by others. Zeros are outcasts who can’t be trusted, leaving her no chance with Raf, a regular mindreader and the best friend she secretly loves. When she accidentally controls Raf’s mind and nearly kills him, Kira tries to hide her frightening new ability from her family and an increasingly suspicious Raf. But lies tangle around her, and she’s dragged deep into a hidden world of mindjackers, where having to mind control everyone she loves is just the beginning of the deadly choices before her.

          This book came in a set with a variety of dystopian novels. Susan Kaye Quinn's Open Minds was actually one of the books that was included. Lately, I have had an obsession with dystopian novels so when I saw this set come out, I just had to pick it up on my Kindle. 
          The story starts out with the narrator, Kira, telling us about her current status as a zero. For as long as she could remember, she had always been a zero. But now, she wanted to change. Well Kira, be careful what you wish for because you just might get it! She got her wish. And not only that, she granted herself with the power to control others' minds. Talk about being out of the ordinary. After meeting Simon (a fellow jacker), she learns of this brave new world of his, and she yearns to be included. And from there, things go wayward. 
          Oh my gosh. How much more intricate can this book get? So... Kira get's trapped in Jacker Camp (where all the bad jackers go to rot)! I don't know how the author managed to keep this plot running into a trilogy. 
          I'm pretty sure this book runs in a trilogy. All three books are currently published and available in stores. However, I do not think I will be picking up the next two books. The plot of this book definitely left me in awe but the way it was carried out certainly did not. If someone would please read the second and third book, and tell me if it is better than the first. Nonetheless, you should check out the first book and see for yourself. Who knows? You might actually enjoy it. 

Character Analysis: 
Kira- I didn't really like the protagonist, Kira. She was like the lost puppy of the story. She couldn't think for herself, much less talk for herself. I didn't enjoy her presence. I think all female characters (especially if they are the protagonists) should be willing, selfless, and unwavering. Although she was too stupid to see the truth behind Simon's demise, she was nonetheless an interesting character to read. 

Simon- One word for this character: rule breaker. At first he appealed to me as rebellious, intellectual (did I forget smoking hot?) individual. I was swooning over him for the most part. But... there are always cons to good-looking people. He suddenly turned into a jerk! A jerk I tell you! Simon (excuse my language) had lied numerous times to the girl he "so called" loved. To him, she was an insignificant being in his way of world domination. Ok well he never went that far but rest assured, he would have gone as far as that. 

Raf- He was, hands down, my favorite character of the book. Raf had all the qualities girls/guys look for in their best friends. He was determined, caring, and restless. Not once did he stop to think about himself; he only thought for the sake of his best friend Kira. 

I hope you enjoyed this review! Please remember to comment telling me what books you would like me to review. I am currently reading the Alchemyst by Michael Scott. A review will be posted in the near future. Follow us on Facebook for more info on the review! 
You may also like:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and go ahead, leave some comments! I'll answer in a jiffy.

© The Book's Buzz . Design by MangoBlogs.